Posts

Showing posts from June, 2006

"Fatal error, run database recovery" problem

If you encounter the following problem during install/update in Linux (In my case it is SuSE Linux 10.0), it is probably that you run BOTH "install new update" and "Update" at the same time.

db_recover: DB_ENV->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

To resolve this problem, in command prompt, issue the following command:

rpm --rebuilddb

to rebuild the RPM db as it is already corrupted.

Hope it helps.

New experience on using SpamAssassin - 2

My bad day today. Here is my solution (hope) on fixing the problem of Spamassassin about a question that spamassassin cannot identify a spam:

At first, I try to identify the problem but no luck.The final decision I made was: uninstall the package.So, firstly I type:rpm –e spamassassin# successthen I type:yum install spamassassin # successThe above install script ONLY install the Fedora 4 version, at writing time is 3.0.6-1.However, in the official website the latest stable version is 3.1.3.Then I uninstall that old version.Reinstall the new version in tar.gz format.Since I am not very familiar with using tar.gz to install (Well, actually I did the following: perl –MCPAN –e cpan> cpan Mail::SpamAssassin make make install however no luck again), I just gave up using that method and using another rpm method: rpmbuild.Please alert that: rpmbuild is, by default, NOT INSTALL together with Fedora 4.So to use the rpmbuild function, first install rpm-build by typ…

New experience on using SpamAssassin

- To test if spamassassin worked, use:

spamc -R < /usr/share/doc/spamassassin-/sample-spam.txt

It will return the report which identified if the message passed in is a spam or not.


- To use spamc in procmail for large size email:

I have read several online document that to combine spamassassin and procmail, administrator should add the following line in /etc/procmailrc

DROPPRIVS=yes

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamc

The above 2 lines pipe the message to spamc. To enable large email support, add the following:

| /usr/bin/spamc -s 8000000

which, 8000000 is the size in KB of email. In other words, user can add suitable spamc switch of spamc which suit your needs.

However, I still cannot find any solution on how to solve the 0/0 problem when, at first, when I run the spamc test, I just got 0/0. Then after run several "spamc" command, it works again...

Strange...